It's not an unusual question. In fact, if I've answered it once in the last 20 years, I've answered it dozens of times! I'm sure you won't find it hard to believe that I have a few reasons "at-the-ready" for when I'm asked this question! In a somewhat controversial post last week I provided an explanation of my 20-year old vow to never send my children to public school. The post evoked a bit of emotional discussion from both sides of the debate.
On a somewhat lighter note, I'd like to share a few more points that help to explain my decision to homeschool. I first posted my Top 10 Reasons Why I Homeschool nearly 3 years ago. My reasons haven't changed. Enjoy!
The Top 10 Reasons Why I Homeschool
- Pajamas are less expensive than school clothes.
- Not all kids can color in the lines for 3 hours at the age of 5 1/2
- The lines are shorter at Disney World in early October when all the other kids are in school.
- I want to be the one to experience the joy of teaching my child to read and to watch the joy on his face when he reads his first chapter book!
- Kids need socialization that doesn't involve being made fun of for wearing the wrong shoes to school.
- Kids are allowed to pray and sing "Away in a Manger" and "Joy to the World" in my school.
- Learning is more effective when the student/teacher ratio is 1:1 than when it's 25:1.
- No one is better equipped to teach my child than the person who knows him better than anyone...me!
- I like my kids and I want to be with them all day!
- Homeschooling WORKS!!