Sunday, July 3, 2011

Independence Day: Freedom is Not Free

It would seem that blogging has taken a back seat to life lately for both Arby and I! I've been able to manage an occasional post over at my other blog, but The Homeschool Apologist has suffered just a bit! (Okay...so maybe no new posts since the middle of May is more than just a bit!!) I guess when our school year ended, my creative blogging juices dried up as well! Hopefully they'll start flowing again soon!

Until then, I'd love to have you hop on over to one of my favorite "meeting spots" for homeschoolers, The Homeschool Village, to read a guest post I was asked to write in celebration of Independence Day. Here's a little bit to get you started...


To many Americans, Independence Day has become little more than a holiday dedicated to family barbecues, parades, and fireworks. Though the celebrations have a value all their own, is it possible that we have lost our appreciation for the very idea the day celebrates? Has the true value of our freedom been swallowed up in our enjoyment of the benefits that liberty affords us?

The problem is a simple one. A person who has never felt the weight of the oppressor’s bonds can do little more than imagine the sheer joy of finally gaining freedom from them. Our forefathers understood oppression. They had suffered it and it made their hearts cry out for freedom. Though fighting for freedom brought with it a great and terrible price, for early Americans, it was a price worth paying. Some, like Patrick Henry, made it clear they valued liberty even over life itself.
“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”
(Read more....)

No comments:

Post a Comment